What’s better to add to your gameplay than a “kill counter”, a small feature displayed on your video to show off your killing spree! Today I’ll be showing you how to create a simple, yet effective, kill counter effect in Sony Vegas ! The kill counter will increase each time you get a kill, giving a continuous “live”-ish feeling to your video!
Creating the kill counter is very easy! Follow the simple steps below:
- Download the kill counter template I created for free! (Click Here and Right Click on img, Save As..)
- Open up the kill counter template in Vegas and place it on a new video track.
- Open up the track motion (button located to left of video track, look for a black arrow inside a white box pointing towards a blue box).
- Resize the kill counter and move it to where you want by using the track motion.
- Exit track motion.
- Insert new video track, right click and Insert Text on that video track.
- Customize your text to say “Kill Count” or “Kill Counter” or something similar! (Change position of the text, add a shadow to the text, change the colour if you want, etc..)
- Right click on your text layer and click “Copy” or use CTRL+C.
- Past your text layer on a new video track (CTRL+V) and click “Create a new source of this media” when prompted by Vegas.
- Right click on this new text layer and click Edit Generated Media.
- Change this text to the number of kills at start of the clip, probably 0, and place the text where you want it on screen.
- Now, move to the place in your video clip where your first kill occurs.
- Click on the Number text, (probably 0 at the start) and click S on your keyboard. This will split the text. Delete the text to the right of your cursor. (If confused, view video tutorial below.)
- Copy the number 0 text, and paste a new source of the text beside it. Go to Edit Generated Media and change this number to 1. This represents the fact that you now have one kill.
- Repeat step 12-14 for each kill, changing the number to represent the number of kills you have.
There you go! You now have a simple Kill Counter in your video for your gameplay!
Watch the video tutorial below if you need extra help: